Updated August 9, 2013
These editorial policies apply to Business Profiles and listings for DexKnows.com, Dex Mobile, Dex Net, and other Dex One services. These policies are a reflection of Dex One’s efforts to build, maintain, and promote a quality product for our advertisers and their prospective customers. Dex One may modify these policies at any time in its sole discretion. Please review the most recent version of these policies prior to adding or modifying any content.
You are solely responsible for the content of your business profile and other advertising. This responsibility includes complying with the legal and other qualifications, including professional licenses, association authorizations, and trademark and copyright authorizations, required for performing and advertising your products and services.
Your appearance on sites other than DexOne.com and DexKnows.com is subject to the policies of such sites, and Dex One does not guarantee your appearance on any site.
Business Profile and Listing Requirements
- Business Profiles must be in English.
- Campaign or other political messaging is prohibited on Business Profiles.
- Any website or social media links must have a relevant landing page. The landing page must not contain nudity or sexually explicit content.
- Website URLs may only appear on the designated link on the Business Profile and will be removed if included in any additional fields or in any logos or graphics.
- Website URLs must link to a working website and be specific to the business.
- Advertiser email addresses may only appear on the designated link on the Business Profile and will be removed if included in any additional fields or in any logos or graphics.
- All videos must directly represent the business and not focus on general topics. Videos cannot contain campaign or other political messaging. Videos branded with any name other than the business name, DexKnows or YouTube are not allowed and will be removed.
- All logos and images must directly represent the business. Standalone certification, affiliation or award logos may not be used. However, generic product images and QR codes may be included on coupons only.
- Logos and images may not contain email addresses, URLs, or telephone numbers and must otherwise comply with editorial policies.
- All advertising areas, service areas and category selections must accurately reflect the scope of the business.
- Attributes should accurately represent products or services offered by the business.
- Only one telephone number is allowed to appear on a Business Profile and will be removed if included in any additional fields or in any logos or graphics. Fax numbers are allowed to appear in the business description only if the number is clearly labeled as a fax number.
- Only one address is allowed to appear on a Business Profile. Additional addresses will be removed.
- All business names should accurately reflect the actual name under which the company conducts its day-to-day operations.
- A physical street address must be provided for each profile even if the option to hide the address from appearing on the profile is selected. P.O. Boxes are not allowed and will be removed.
You may not submit content that:
- Is illegal, offensive, threatening, false, or misleading
- Contains profanity (including gestures and symbols that represent or imply curse words), derogatory terms or verbiage not normally used in polite conversation
- Promotes sexually suggestive content involving children, teens, or underage models
- Promotes or depicts non-consensual activity
- Depicts adult/sexual/pornographic images
- Promotes or depicts prostitution
- Promotes online gambling websites, or websites that directly support or facilitate illegal online gambling
- Promotes illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia, miracle cures, or products designed or advertised to change the results of drug tests
- Promotes online pharmacy sites unless the advertiser is a member of the PharmacyChecker Licensed Pharmacy Program and provides a valid PharmacyChecker identification number
- Promotes the sale of fake documents or counterfeit goods
- Promotes the sale of fireworks or explosives
- Promotes or depicts acts of violence or human suffering
- Advocates against any person, organization, business, industry, etc.
- Promotes the sale of human body parts, organs, or fluids
- Promotes the solicitation of funds
- Promotes file sharing or peer-to-peer networking sites
- Promotes link-only sites or third party Cost Per Click (CPC) ad resellers
- Promotes template sites for ad networks, including without limitation, products and services that create templates or pre-generated websites intended to profit from ads, bulk marketing, spam, cable descramblers, black boxes, dialers, computer hacking or cracking, or modification chips
Alcohol, Tobacco and Weapons Advertisements:
Dex One allows advertisements for alcohol, tobacco, and weapons to the extent that such advertisement otherwise comply with these policies. However, other search engines may not allow advertisements for alcohol, tobacco and weapons, and Dex One does not guarantee the appearance of such advertising on any site.
In Illinois and Florida, all digital products for adoption agencies or adoption-related services must include the state-issued license for the agency. In Florida, attorneys that advertise adoption-related services must include their state bar number.
All florist advertising for Oregon, including Business Profiles and listings, must include an address with the street, city, and state. The address should be the retail location or service address of the florist. If these options are not available, the corporate or billing address is acceptable.
Medical Marijuana Advertisements:
Dex One does not allow advertising from any business growing, selling, dispensing, or promoting marijuana in any form in any Dex One market regardless of the content of the advertising. Dex One will accept medical marijuana-related content under the Attorneys/Lawyers and Physicians & Surgeons categories, provided that such content is specifically limited to the following:
- Attorneys may address their representation of medical marijuana patients or dispensaries as ad content under the Attorneys and Lawyers categories.
- In the Physicians and Surgeons categories, a medical professional allowed to provide medical evaluations or other services under a state’s medical marijuana law may state that he/she provides medical evaluations for patients to obtain a medical marijuana prescription or to be placed on a state medical marijuana registry. This advertising must be placed under the physician’s name or medical practice. Dispensary businesses may not be placed under Physicians and Surgeons categories, even if they have a physician on staff.
- No photos or illustrations of or related to marijuana will be accepted in the above-mentioned physician and attorney advertising.
Additional General Profile Editorial Requirements:
- Business Descriptions should be written in sentence form and are limited to 3500 characters.
- Business Description content should not be copied or used verbatim from existing web sites. This practice results in duplicate content, which can negatively impact performance.
- Taglines are limited to 80 characters including punctuation. If the tagline is written in sentence format, a punctuation mark is required at the end.
- Standalone company names may not be used as a tagline.
- Word lists may not be used. This includes geographies or zip codes.
- Repetitive custom attributes, search terms, or keywords may not be used. This includes geographies.
- Use standard capitalization in business descriptions. Do not capitalize entire words (unless trademarked) or the first letter of every word in a sentence.
- Competitive claims must be supported. Do not use general superlatives such as “best,” “lowest,”“#1,” “cheapest,” etc. unless these claims are documented and supported by outside sources.
- Use proper grammar and spelling.
- Use one space between sentences.
- Do not use excessive or unnecessary punctuation. Do not use improper or unnecessary abbreviations.
Unacceptable – Want quick results @ low price$???
- Repetitive words may not be used.
Unacceptable – Results are fast, fast, fast!
- You must respect the intellectual property, privacy and publicity rights of third parties.